Monday, May 16, 2011

Adventures In Weed Whacking


At first glance this shot of a town maintenance worker weed eating around the town library seems quite ordinary. But there are two things here which make it noteworthy. One is the surprising way the strands of ornamental grass frame the man's face. I was indeed trying to use the grass as an overall frame but did not expect to capture it exactly like that. A shame the subject's face is not in better focus.

The second is that I can not help but remember that photographing a worker weed eating around a home  in Hawaii almost got me arrested by Homeland Security a couple of years ago.  It turned out that the home I was photographing belonged to the military, which made it off limits. My pleas of ignorance got me off accept for some special attention from TSA at the airport and a phone call when I got home. Needless to say, I make it my policy to get permission to shoot anything that seems to have anything at all to do with any level of government.


No comments:

Post a Comment