Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Town Mural



I love murals painted on the outsides of commercial buildings. Naturally, it gives me great pleasure that my adopted home town has one.  In the late 1980's the town commissioned a talented high school art student to do  this scene of  nearby Web's Mill.  It captures the rustic beauty of the place that so many older Spring Hope residents remember with much fondness.  For Sue, (last name unavailable), it was the highlight of her life. She said that while growing up on the farm, as so many of her peers did, the only time you got to go anywhere was on milling day. She counted down the days till the next trip almost as intently as she did Christmas. 

Sadly, my photo looks substantially better than the mural itself. The years have taken their toll so that there is heavy peeling and fading. I intentionally enhanced the photo with editing to give something of a feel for it's former beauty when the colors were deeply saturated. Furthermore, it's rapidly approaching the point of no return when it will have to be scraped away and to be seen no more.

Well it just so happens that the revitalization committe from several years back has been revived!  One of their main goals, thus far, is to spruce up the looks of our town.  Several shop owners have already begun repainting the  exteriors of their storefronts. That's a great start becuase I must admit, we are sagging quite a bit in the overall looks department.  But wouldn't it be wonderful if some how and some way, the committee came up with a mind and the means to restore this wonderful tribute to our heritage? Talk about upgrading appearances!

Wait, there's more!  It just so happens that because of my being the author of this blog, I have been invited to sit in on the committee's next meeting, which is the 29th of this month.  I won't have any official right to speak of course but are you thinking what I am thinking?   

1 comment:

  1. There was a fading Coke commercial mural on the outside of a building in Youngsville that the town (or someone) DID redo ... sadly, they did it in brick colors, and not the real coke logo colors, but oh, well, they did not ask my opinion ... I hope your town will redo yours! Send the mayor a letter, or get a petition going, perhaps??

    ReplyDelete